Calvary Baptist Church began as a Bible Class, meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Musser, 118 N. 7th Street. Rev. Grant Rice was the teacher. Interest increased and a larger meeting place was needed. Mr. and Mrs. Ray Tessmann graciously opened their home at 1500 Center Street.
The first Sunday services were conducted on April 17, 1960. On April 22, 1960, a church organizational meeting was held, and the thirty-two charter members selected the name, “Watertown Calvary Baptist Church.”
On May 26, 1960, the membership purchased a lot on the corner of Prospect and Spaulding Streets and shortly thereafter began to construct the first building. Most of the work was done by the membership on a volunteer basis. Since then, Watertown has grown, and houses have filled the area surrounding the church.
Rev. Charles Sanders, the church’s first pastor, began his ministry on October 23, 1960. His ministry continued through August 7, 1972. During that time, the church grew in membership, built additional facilities, and developed new ministries, such as the radio ministry, which was begun in 1967. Today the Sunday morning service is broadcast live over radio station WTTN in Watertown and through video on cable TV station 13. The video ministry began in 1986.
The years 1962 and 1963 were years of expansion. A lot on Prospect Street adjacent to the property was purchased and a parsonage was constructed. In February, 1963, a church building program was launched. Groundbreaking for a three-hundred-seat auditorium, ed